Looms for Lupus is actively engaged in Advocacy at the local, state and federal level. Since 2016 Looms for Lupus has requested and accepted Proclamations from the City of Baldwin Park and surrounding cities in Los Angeles County. Looms for Lupus also has accepted proclamations in Sacramento at the State Level and have met with legislators in DC for Lupus in 2018, twice in March 2019 and for Fibromyalgia in Sept. 2019.
§ Lupus Advocacy Federal Level
· On March 19th 2019 Juana and Estela were invited and Attended Lupus Advocacy Day with Lupus Research Alliance, where they met with Legislators to ask for 2 budget requests for both the NIH and the DOD. We met with staff members for U. S. Senator Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator Kamala Harris and Congresswoman Grace Napolitano and Health Policy Advisor from Hon. Lucille Roybal-Allard’s office.
· On March 5th 2019 Juana and Estela were sponsored by LADA, Inc. to attend the Lupus Foundation of America Advocacy Day in DC. We met with staff members for U. S. Senator Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator Kamala Harris and Congresswoman Grace Napolitano.
§ Fibromyalgia Advocacy Federal Level
· On September 19th, 2019 Juana, Estela, and Estela’s daughters Cassidy and Isabella attended the first Fibromyalgia Advocacy day in DC with International Support Fibromyalgia Network, Inc. Estela led the roundtable Advocacy Day training for the group of 30 advocates attending the night prior to meeting with legislators. We met with staff members U. S. Senator Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator Kamala Harris, Senator Elizabeth Warren, Representative Jim McGovern, Senator Edward J. Markey, and had the pleasure of meeting with Congresswoman Grace Napolitano, Congressman Tony Cardenas and Congresswoman Judy Chu.
§ Mental Health Advocacy Federal Level
· On September 19th, 2019 after our meeting on Fibromyalgia we had the opportunity to meet with Congresswoman Grace Napolitano on Mental Health specifically on Fibromyalgia and Lupus survivors that are at higher risk of depression. Isabella, shared her story on living with Fibromyalgia from the age of 14 and the impacts it has had on her physically and emotionally, the days she has to miss school due to pain, doctor visits and the emotional impact of living with Fibromyalgia. Looms for Lupus is actively participating in the Mental Health Consortium meetings with Congresswoman Napolitano and will continue efforts in bringing awareness in efforts to stop the stigma especially in the Hispanic community.
§ Lupus Advocacy at the State Level
· On May 2019 Looms for Lupus had the honor of accepting the Lupus Proclamation from their Congresswoman Grace Napolitano for World Lupus Day and from their State Senator Susan Rubio for Lupus Awareness Month for California. As well as receiving recognition for their work as individuals, both Juana and Estela were recognized and received Awards of Recognition from State Senator Susan Rubio and Congresswoman Grace Napolitano.
§ Lupus Advocacy at the Local Community Level
· Looms for Lupus accepted 9 proclamations declaring May as Lupus Awareness Month in the City of Baldwin Park, Glendora, La Puente, Monrovia, Carson, Coachella, El Monte, West Covina, and Azusa.
§ Mental Health Awareness Day at the Local Community Level
· Looms for Lupus requested and accepted the proclamation declaring May as Mental Health Awareness Day for Sierra Vista High School and Baldwin Park High School student. These students are actively involved in the Mental Health Clubs in their schools.